You get hundreds of applications for that coveted internship opening at your company, but how can you fully assess those applicants? Resumes provide snapshots of their experiences and skills, but it doesn’t allow you to really get to know them. At the end of the day, you want the best qualified candidate working for your company, as well as give the priceless learning opportunity to the right applicant.
That is why we compiled a list of 50 interview questions (and more) that you can mix into your next interview to get a better and deeper understanding of potential future interns, whether it’s for a marketing agency or beyond.
Values / general
- How did you prepare for this interview?
- Tell us what you know about [your company]?
- What is your understanding of the internship program at [your company]?
- Give me some highlights from your experience.
- Tell me about yourself.
- Tell us about the last time you did something nice for someone else.
- Describe your perfect work environment.
- Do you know anyone who works here?
- Why did you pick your school/major/minor?
- How do you get everything done when you have a lot to do?
- What are you passionate about learning – personally/professionally – and why?
- What’s the most important thing to you on your resume?
- Describe a past experience where you met a whole new group of people and how you bonded with them.
- If you could choose just one, what would your superpower be?
- At what point did you choose this career path?
Content / social media presence
- What blogs do you follow?
- Do you manage your own blog or guest blog anywhere?
- Point me to examples of great writing online, and explain why they are great.
- Have you ever managed a company Facebook page or Twitter account?
- What type of things would you tweet about for our company, and why?
- Why do you think businesses should maintain an active social media presence?
- Which social media platforms are you best at using and why?
- How active are you on social media/How many people are you connected with?
- Why use social media? Isn’t it a waste of time?
Confident and professional presence
- Why are you the best person for me to hire for this internship?
- What are you especially good at?
- What are you bad at?
- Describe a time you’ve really screwed up, and what you did to fix it.
- If I was to talk to a few of your professors and/or previous bosses, what would they want you to work on?
- Tell me about the last time you had to learn a new technology? How did it go?
- Provide an example of a time in which you solved a problem for an employer, peer or customer.
- Describe a situation where you taught a concept to a peer or co-worker.
- Have you ever had to step in for your boss or someone else?
- Do you know a lot about a little or a little about a lot?
- Describe an example of when you showed excellent customer service.
- Tell us about the other internships you have done.
- What did you love?
- What didn’t you like?
- If you were the CEO of those agencies, what three things would you change?
- What do you hope to get from this internship?
- What would be your biggest challenge as an intern here?
- Where would you excel the most?
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
- Describe a time you took initiative.
- How do you manage working on a team?
- When was a time you had to manage a group of people to get a job done?
- When have you taken charge of a situation by yourself?
- Tell me about your volunteer or community service experience.
- How do you resolve conflict?
- What kinds of experiences have you had in relating with people whose backgrounds are different than your own?
- What’s your experience with (insert tool or software here)?
- Have you written blog posts or built web pages using a CMS?
- Are you familiar with Google Drive?
- What’s your level of expertise with Microsoft Office?
- Are there any platforms or softwares that you think will help you here?
- What questions do you have for us?
- What’s your availability to intern?
Have any more interview questions we could add to the list?
Let us know in the comments!